Monday, June 25, 2007

Love Really IS The Answer

We've all heard it at least once in our lives. "Love is the answer". But have you ever considered whether love really is the answer? That is what I'd like to explore here in this post because I came across that phrase again today, and the question stuck with me. Is love really the answer? And what questions does it answer?

First I would like to define what I believe love is. Sure there is romantic love, but that is not what I'm going to explore here. Love is a simple word for a broad spectrum of feelings and experiences, but for the purpose's of this post, the love I'm writing about here is that which frees, allows, accepts, supports, shares, gives, and unites. It is life affirming, empowering, healing, creative, and inspiring. And it is that which is useful and helpful in bringing about the very best for all concerned.

Whenever I ask myself the big questions in life, I always end up with the same answer. Whether it is "What is my purpose in life?", "Why am I here?", or even "Who am I?", the answer is always Love. If I ever want guidance on what to do next, I ask myself "What do I do now?", and the answer is Love. If I find myself in a predicament and wonder "How do I respond to this?", the clearest answer is Love.

Sure there are many other ways to answer these questions, but Love is the grandest of them all. I can not think of anything greater or higher to aim for. I am not saying that I succeed in responding with love to everything that comes up in my life. Often I fall way short of it, but I do keep reminding myself that Love is the ultimate goal. Even if I fail, most of my efforts have been positive to some degree because I strived to love.

So here are some more questions to consider. What is important in your life? What matters at the end of the day? When you look back on your life in the end, what will you have wished you did more of? What do you want for your children? What do you wish your parents would have given you more of? What is the best feeling you have ever experienced? What do you want to give more of? What word comes to mind when you think of your closest friends and family?

Love.

Love really is the answer.

The only question to ask then is:

What would Love do now?

1 comment:

Mark Lane said...

Nathan, I loved (no pun intended) your posting on love yesterday. I like your list of things love is and I will probably use it.